Thursday, May 17, 2012

Trouble with the Angels

After reading  Trouble with the Angels I liked how Langston Hughes puts religion on stage and how he shows readers that people often expect God to fix all their problems. I picked this story because the title sounded  interesting because I was thinking to myself, why are angels trouble? as I kept reading the story it  showed how the Dominant culture perceived what  heaven is like for colored people which I found funny because I was thinking shouldn't heaven be a peaceful and a place that is unified ? I think what Hughes is showing is that people look to religion as a way to erase what they are going through. Instead of facing the trails and tribulations head on and learning from this experience. For example, when the Negro actor who played God comes to Washington for a performance many Negroes who lived in Washington wrote letters to him telling him that they are planning a protest and they want his help. After getting the letter he tells him that he does not want to take part in the protest because he did not want to get into trouble with Equity. Also, he did not want to cause hate and trouble in Washington but to promote peace and beauty. While reading this I realized that Hughes painted God as a peaceful loving God and not an angry, hateful God who smites people.

No comments:

Post a Comment