Sunday, May 6, 2012

Rock, Church

The next short story I chose is called Rock, Church I selected this story because first off I found it amusing to read and I found myself getting into the story. After reading this story I felt that Langston Hughes wanted to show how some people use religion for the wrong reasons instead of using it as a way to grow in one's faith and as a way to find hope. Hughes make his point of how people use religion as a way to gain fame and fortune. In the story you have the protagonist Elder William Jones who comes up with a plan to become a widely known preacher like Billy Graham, so he does this by telling his congregation and the entire community of St. Louis and East St. Louis  that he is going to crucify himself and raise from the dead the next day and then he takes an offering.

1 comment:

  1. How can I get this short story to print for my 9th grade ELA class.

    ReplyDelete